Historic Homes Tour this afternoon features attractive lineup
By Jim Turner


Posted on October 14, 2018 9:13 AM



 

An attractive roster of elegantly historic Logan County homes will be featured in the annual Historic Homes Tour today (Sunday, Oct. 14) from 2-6 p.m. as part of the Logan County Tobacco & Heritage Festival.

The lineup, which includes five houses in Russellville and three in the Auburn School District, is as follows:

Dawson-Morton House: One of Logan County’s most historic homes, this house was built in 1820 by William Chiswell Dawson. It has remained in the Dawson-Morton family for generations. It was the long-time home of one of Logan Countians greatest historians and storytellers, the late Maybelle Morton and her sister, the late Carrie McKenzie. The house remains the centerpiece of an upscale subdivision and is owned by a descendent, Clara Ann Dawson Hunt. It is located off Highway 68-80 at 876 Morton Road.

Fountain Manor: The original house was built in 1820 by Samuel Caldwell, the first merchant in Russellville. He, his wife and daughter were buried in the backyard. During the Civil War, it served as a Confederate hospital. At one time it was the home of Kentucky political kingpin Thomas S. Rhea and his family. Much of the house burned in 1988, but Roy Gill rebuilt around the remaining rooms soon afterwards. It remains his home and is filled with antiques. It’s located at 201 West Ninth Street.

O’Bannon House: Located diagonally across Main Street is the O’Bannon House, which was built by Presley O’Bannon, who came to Russellville in 1807. He is legendary for his heroism in the Barbary Wars, including the American flag on foreign soil at Tripoli. He also served in the Kentucky General Assembly. In 1814 the house was purchased by Major Richard Bibb. It has been the home of Jane Brown Dodson Vick and her family for many years.

Wallace-Long-Byrne Home: Built around 1811 by Judge William Wallace, this former stage coach inn is located at the corner of Ninth and Main streets in Russellville.  Now a popular Bed & Breakfast owned by Tim Reddington, it was the home at different times of former Russellville leaders Nimrod long, the first of four doctors named Walter Byrne, and Bill and Kathy Schlegel.

Morton-Loving House: Built around 1810, this house also is a reminder of the influence of the Morton family in the early civilized years of the Land of Logan. It was the home at different times of William J. Morton and Dr. H.T. Loving. It is associated with Gov. Jon Breathitt.  It was for many years the popular antiques sales site of the late Sally Moody Flowers. It’s on West Seventh Street across from First Christian Church and is owned by Mary Lynn Miller.

Broadmore Coker House: Located at 467 West Sixth Street, this was part of the farm owned by Henry P. Broadnax and was built around 1836. It was the home of attorney S.A. Bass and was used as a “birthing house” by Miss Bess Simmons in the middle third of the 19th century. It is currently owned by Methodist pastor Dr. J. Earl ‘Judge’ Coker and his wife Sheila.

Barrow Farm/Home: Located 2059 Taylor Barrow Road on the other side of U.S. 68-80 from Shakertown at South Union, this is the long-time home of Currie and Sandra Barrow which was featured during Hometown History Day as part of this Tobacco & Heritage Festival. It has been preserved as an active farm with a typical farm house from the 1950s.

McCutchen Meadows: The majestic house was constructed in 1810 on land just east of Auburn bought through a land grant to John McCutchen in 1796 for service in the Revolutionary War. The las addition to the house was in 1924 with stones which had come from the nearby Shaker Village. For many years it was the home of the Coke family, who gave the name to McCutchen-Coke Park in Auburn. The house has been beautifully restored by Logan County educators Ben and Katina Kemplin.

Ben Kemplin and Keith Batchelor are the volunteers who have chaired what may be the most impressive lineup of homes in the history of this historic annual event.

 

 

 




Copyright © The Logan Journal 2009 - 2019