Riley White Drugs celebrating 60 years of serving Logan and adjoining counties
By Donnie Riley


Posted on October 23, 2019 6:46 PM




Riley-White Drugs is pleased to be serving the citizens of Logan and surrounding counties for 60 years. It has been our pleasure and our commitment to help our patients meet their health care needs, both in our pharmacy and our home medical equipment department.

Our service to the citizens of Logan County began on January 1, 1959, when Carroll Riley, RPh, a Logan county native, purchased Eagle Drugs at 115 South Main Street from Charlie Bowles.

It was located in the building that had most recently housed the Logan County Republican headquarters. Mr. Bowles had purchased it previously from Ed ‘Kat’ Katterjohn, RPh, who had operated the business as Eagle Drug Store for 36 years. Carroll operated the business as Riley Drugs alone at that location until 1965.

In 1965, Jerry White, RPh, another Logan County native, came back to Russellville after three years of service in the United States Air Force and came to work for Carroll. After six months, Jerry purchased half interest in the business and the name was changed to Riley-White Drugs. In the summer of 1966, the business was moved into the Main Street side of a newly built building on the north side of the square that still houses Riley-White.

The pharmacists took time for civic involvement. Riley was president of the Russellville Lions Club and a member of the board of Logan County Hospital. White was a long-time member of the Russellville school board and served as chairman of the massive Russellville Area 175th Anniversary Celebration in 1973.

In 1976, Ben Franklin five and dime store, which was adjacent to Riley-White, moved into the building that currently houses Crabtree Furniture. Riley-White then expanded into that space and the entire north side of the square was renovated with a new exterior to house the growing business. A full line medical equipment department was added at that time, and Riley-White’s HME is accredited by the Healthcare Quality Association on Accreditation.

In 1979, Donnie Riley, RPh, son of Carroll, joined the staff and operated Riley-White #2 in Morgantown until 1989. In March, 1992, Riley-White purchased Clinic Pharmacy, located in the main Graves Gilbert location in Bowling Green. Donnie worked primarily at that location until 2016, at which time he started splitting time between the Russellville and Bowling Green locations.

In 1999, Carroll Riley retired from full time work and in 2001 David Guion, RPh. was hired to work at the Russellville store. Carly Patterson, PharmD, was hired in 2016 and splits her time between the Russellville and Bowling Green stores.

In December 2017, Riley-White added a third location at the Red Oak Medical Building, a Graves Gilbert location at 1112 South Main Street, Franklin. Andrew McKinney, PharmD, also a Logan County native, manages that location.

Carroll and Jerry have now retired and the business is operated by Donnie Riley and Matt Flanders, PharmD, who became part of the firm in 2010, joining his wife, Lindsey Flanders, PharmD, who had started working at Riley-White in 2008. Matt purchased an interest in the business in 2016, becoming a partner. Matt continues to manage Clinic Pharmacy at Graves Gilbert Clinic, 201 Park Street, Bowling Green.

Riley-White is committed to serving the citizens of Logan, Warren, and Simpson counties and we strive to meet the health care needs of our patients.

 




Copyright © The Logan Journal 2009 - 2019